Try this delicious and easy-to-make chicken with lemon and olives dish that will impress your family and friends.
This lemon and olive chicken recipe is a simple and flavorful dish that is perfect for any occasion.
With just a few ingredients and minimal prep time, you can create a delicious and impressive meal that your whole family will love.
Why this recipe works:
- Simple and flavorful ingredients: These flavors complement each other well. The lemon, honey, and white wine create a tangy and slightly sweet marinade that is perfect for chicken. The addition of green olives brings a savory and briny flavor that balances the sweetness of the marinade. Baking the chicken in the marinade allows the meat to absorb all the delicious flavors and ensures that it stays juicy and tender.
- Easy to make: with just a few ingredients, your dinner could be ready in less than an hour. While the chicken is cooking, you can quickly make a salad or prepare a side dish to go with the chicken.
- Health benefits: Chicken is an excellent source of protein and is low in fat, making it a healthy choice for your diet. Olives are also a good source of healthy fats and antioxidants.
What kind of ingredients go into this recipe:
(For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please scroll to the bottom of the article to reach a printable recipe card).
- Chicken drumsticks and thighs: I like chicken drumsticks and thighs in this recipe as they are easy to cook, juicier, and more flavorful than chicken breast. You can use bone-in chicken breasts, but I would not use boneless chicken breast as it doesn’t have much flavor.
- Dry white wine: Pinot Grigio, Pinot Gris, Sauvignon Blanc, and Pinot Blanc are especially good choices for cooking chicken. If you don’t have white wine, you could use chicken broth, apple cider vinegar, or a combination of both instead.
- Green olives: Choose a brand that has the pit removed. Otherwise, make sure you do that before cooking them. Black olives are perfectly acceptable as well.
- Honey: You could substitute the honey with maple syrup, agave nectar, or brown sugar, depending on your taste preferences.
- Other ingredients: extra virgin olive oil, fresh lemon, salt, and black pepper, fresh parsley. All these ingredients should be easy to find in the grocery store.
How to make this recipe for lemon chicken with olives:
Step 1. Preheat your oven to 425F.
Step 2. Make the marinade.
In a medium-sized bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic powder, honey, and white wine. Do not discard the lemons, but chop or slice them and set them aside.
Step 3. Chicken.
Place chicken in a shallow dish or a 1-gallon zip-top bag, and add the lemons.
Add the marinade, ensuring that the chicken is fully coated.
Arrange the chicken pieces in a large roasting pan or sheet pan, and pour the marinade over it. Add the olives around the chicken and lemon pieces.
Step 4. Bake.
Bake the chicken for approximately 30 minutes, occasionally basting it with the juices.
Check the meat to ensure that the internal temperature inside the thickest part of the chicken meat is at least 165F. If the temperature is lower, return the pan to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes or until the temperature is reached.
Step 6. Serve.
Serve immediately with sides like new potatoes, green beans, or a salad.
Variations of the recipe:
- If you have time, marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours in the refrigerator before baking. This will allow the flavors to penetrate the meat more deeply and make it even more tender. You can experiment with different herbs and spices to customize the flavor of this dish. For example, you could add rosemary, thyme, or oregano to the marinade.
- You could also use a mix of chicken breasts, thighs, drumsticks, or any other parts you prefer. Just adjust the baking time accordingly, as white meat tends to cook faster than dark meat.
- To make the dish more colorful and flavorful, you could add some chopped onions, garlic, or bell peppers to the marinade or roasting pan.
- You can also add other vegetables, such as onions, carrots, or potatoes, to the roasting pan to make a complete meal.
- For a Mediterranean twist, you could use kalamata olives instead of green olives and add some crumbled feta cheese to the finished dish. You could also serve it with couscous, quinoa, or pita bread.
- To make the dish more low-carb or keto-friendly, you could skip potatoes and serve it with roasted cauliflower, broccoli, or asparagus instead.
If you have any leftover chicken, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can reheat it in the oven or microwave before serving.
Yes, this recipe is freezer-friendly. Once the chicken has cooled down completely, you can store it in an airtight container or freezer bag in the freezer for up to 2 months. To reheat, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and then bake it in the oven until it’s heated through.
This lemon and olive chicken goes well with a variety of sides, such as roasted vegetables, rice, quinoa, or a simple green salad. You can also serve it with a side of crusty bread to soak up the flavorful juices.
– Use a meat instant-read thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken. This will ensure that it’s fully cooked and safe to eat.
– For crispy skin, broil the chicken for the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
– Make sure to baste the chicken with the marinade while it’s baking to keep it moist and flavorful.
If you want a spicier version, add some red pepper flakes or paprika to the marinade.
Overall, this lemon and olive chicken recipe is a versatile and delicious dinner that can be enjoyed in many different ways. Whether you serve it for family dinners or a special occasion, it’s sure to impress your guests with its flavorful and juicy taste.
More recipes to enjoy:
27 Instant Pot & Slow Cooker Chicken Soups
Chicken With Lemon And Olives Recipe
- 8 chicken drumsticks and thighs small
- ⅔ cup green olives pitted
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons clear honey
- ⅔ cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper, garlic powder, honey, and white wine. Do not discard the lemons. Slice or chop them, and set them aside.
- Place chicken in a shallow dish or 1-gallon zip-top bag. Add the lemon pieces and pour over the homemade marinade, making sure the chicken is coated with the liquid.
- Spread the chicken pieces on a large roasting pan or ovenproof dish and pour over the marinade and the lemons. Add the olives.
- Bake the chicken for about 20-30 minutes, basting it with the juices occasionally.
- The internal temperature inside the thickest part of the meat should be at least 165F. If the temperature is lower, return the pan to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes or so.
- Serve right away with new potatoes, green beans, or a salad.